This post is more general science fiction than just Star Wars, but it was my favorite Star Wars moments that got me thinking. You know those moments- the ones where you get so caught up in the action- the emotion- of a story that you can't help but cheer on what's happening, even if its just at a movie or TV screen. It's a visceral reaction that stays with you for a long time. Below are my top ten favorites:
10. Independence Day: Pilot Steve Hiller (Will Smith): "Oh no, you did NOT just shoot that green S**t at me!" That line and his subsequent 'duel' with an alien starfighter- culminating in a "close encounter" with his Marine fist.
9. Empire Strikes Back: Han Solo, on the run after Hoth, taking that awesome 90-degree straight DOWN dive to throw off his pursuers. Not only cool and visceral, but it also reminded us that space is, indeed, 3D. Especially loved the fact the Imperial ships almost rammed into eachother.
8. Empire Strikes Back: Wedge successfully performing the tow-cable attack on the AT-AT walker and exclaiming “Whoah! That got ‘im!”. Yeah, I know. Not ‘epic’ when viewed in light of the ‘big picture’, but I’m a huge Wedge fan, and this represents about the ONLY victory the Rebels have in Episode V.
7. Star Wars: Han and Chewie taking out Vader to clear Luke’s tail in the Death Star Trench Run. “You’re all clear, kid!”. Yeah, it seems old hat now, but to an eight year old? Pure awesome-sauce. Heck, I still love it.
6. GalaxyQuest: “My ship is dragging mines!”
5. Star Trek VI: Captain Sulu orders “Target that explosion and FIRE!” during a duel with a cloaked, Klingon ship.
4. Star Trek VI: Captain Sulu (again), upon hearing from his crew that his ship will “fly apart” if they keep up their speed, orders them to “Fly her apart then!”
3. Star Trek II: Captain Kirk, working secretly to lower the shields on Khan’s ship, informs his rival (as Sulu locks on phasers). “Here it comes.”
2. Battlestar Galactica (New Series): Series Finale. The final attack on the Cylon base. It begins with one of Adama's awesome speeches:
"Galactica has seen a lot of history. Gone through a lot of battles. This will be her last. She will not fail us, if we do not fail her. If we succeed at our mission, Galactica will bring us home. If we don’t, it doesn’t matter anyway. Action stations!"
Oh, you know it is ON now. Waves of fighters, dueling barrages, ramming speed, boarding actions. Anything goes, anyone can die. Great stuff.
1. Battlestar Galactica (New Series): Commander Adama jumps the Galactica into the atmosphere of New Caprica, launches fighters right on top of the Cylon occupation force and jumps away again, even as the ship starts to burn up from re-entry. It is one of those moments for me. Even on the small screen, comfortable in my chair in my living room, I let out a whoop and cheer at this. You go, Adama. You go.