Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May the Fourth Be With You!



Yeah, I know that movie wasn't officially released until May 25th, 1977, but... May the Fourth just has a nice ring to it. In fact, it almost kind of sounds like May the For- HEY! I got the joke!

Man, its hard to believe that Star Wars is going to be 34 years old. It seems like just yesterday it was learning to walk. And now look at it! All grown up and living in its parents basement, playing the Force Unleashed 2. Sniff. But seriously, its been a great 34 years, all told. I can't imagine what my life would have been like without Star Wars. And yes, I know that sounds weird and (to some) pathetic, but it's true. The Star Wars movies have been life-long companions, and through them (and the games they've spawned) I have met some of the best friends in my life.

Though I may occasionally grumble at some of the decisions made with the franchise, I will always be grateful to George Lucas and his team for their imagination, their creativity and their perseverance in bringing the first movie to the screen some 34 years ago. I may be hopelessly optimistic, but I still believe there is a lot to look forward to in the Star Wars franchise.

May the Fourth be with you, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Right with you. Star Wars allowed me to appreciate so many other genres with its mix of science fiction, humor, fantasy, action, adventure, drama, and horror. Sword fights, damsel-in-distress, heroes, villains, spaceships, dogfights, military battles, monsters, friendly aliens, robots, capes, gadgets, lasers, tall boots--Star Wars has it all!

    In fact, I was four when it first came out. I wonder if Star Wars was the first movie I went to...hmmm. Could make a strong case why it left such a lasting impression on me.

    ReplyDelete