Friday, December 17, 2010

Putting the FU in The Force Unleashed...AGAIN!

Speaking of 'Alternate Timelines'. The latest downloadable content for the Force Unleashed features another 'What if' scenario. Here, you take your (presumably) evil version of the 'hero', Starkiller, and kill Chewbacca and Han Solo. Or rather, you get Han to kill Chewbacca for you (by using the wookiee as a shield) and THEN kill Han by stabbing him through the heart. Now, this isn't really anything new. Downloadable content in the first version of this game allowed you to go to Hoth and kill Luke Skywalker, too. Since it is all in an 'alternate' timeline, I don't really have a problem with it...in theory. But in my jaded, hate-filled heart, I can't help but see this as a symbol of what this game has done to an already 'shakey' franchise. They rammed a lightsaber right through its heart. Yeah. I know I'm being overly dramatic (it isn't as though Star Wars has been a bastion of awesomeness as a franchise since about... oh 1983). But watching the video of Han and Chewie's demise felt like a kick in the balls- just like The Force Unleashed franchise has felt like a kick in the balls.

I still have to laugh (wryly) about the comments made by my favorite game reviewer Yahtzee:

"So I look forward to seeing how the fanboys justify The Force Unleashed II, because it is the most grossly offensive and mishandled application of intellectual property since the Schindler's List Easy-Bake Oven."

True enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment